We have compiled a few of the most commonly asked questions we get from our customers to help you understand a little more about what we do and how we do it. If you have any questions that are not answered here, you can get in touch with our friendly staff who will be happy to help you.
Will my timber treads match my flooring?
- Yes, however you must understand that the flooring is purchased from one company and the timber for your stairs comes from a different source. With each species of timber the colouring is generally quite consistent but as you see with your flooring it comes in many different tones which makes the timbers of your stair blend in with the general toning of your floor.
Is all my timber solid timber?
- Yes, at Southern Stairs we use “select grade” timbers in most of our stairs but sometimes the sizes we require for a tread say 280 x 32 might not be available and as such smaller sections would have to be used which may have to be laminated together. This still gives you a solid tread and will still match your floor as it is many boards joined together.
What types of timber do you have that is suitable for stairs?
- We have many timbers to suit most budgets and designs. We have MDF for stairs that will be carpeted to keep the cost down. Pine, maple and Victorian ash are very good value timbers for a smaller budget and there are many Australian hardwoods available to match in with your flooring.
What types of stairs do you have?
- We can do almost any type of timber staircase. Most of the time the architect designs the house or renovation and they allow space for the staircase. If the architect does not allow much room for the stair then we cannot be as flexible with our staircase design. As such it is important to talk to the architect and get him to work out how much room you can afford to utilise for your staircase. Sometimes space is very limited.
Is creaking typical of timber stairs?
- A new staircase should not creak or squeak if it has been built right. Older stairs may creak because the glue may have broken down over time.
Do you renovate or refurbish existing staircases?
- Yes, we can renovate your existing staircase by removing the existing balustrade and replacing it with a new balustrade. If you have the turned posts and balusters we can replace them with something contemporary or something more modern like glass all depending on your budget.
Will my timber staircase fade or discolour over time?
- It all depends on the position of your stairs if it is in direct sunlight or not. Some timbers may lighten up a bit but generally all timbers will darken over time.
Southern Stairs installed our new balustrades and handrails yesterday and we couldn’t be happier with the result. The stairs look amazing and it has certainly modernised our foyer. Jake, the installer was punctual, polite and very professional. What a delightful young man. Thank you to Sue and everyone at Southern Stairs. We would highly recommend the service you provide.
Thank you for completing the stairs. It looks great and I am very happy with the whole complete job of the stairs, I would highly recommend Southern Stairs to others.
I would just like to take the time to thank Southern Stairs and the installers who did a fantastic job and left the site as if they had never even been here. We would have no problems recommending you to anybody else. Thanks again for a wonderful job.
"As discussed I have attached the finished product of my staircase. Again thank you very much for tuning the job over quickly and with great workmanship."
Savcon Building P/L
"We are so happy with the stairs. Can you please pass on our thanks to Rob and the boys for such a great job. They are such a good team and a credit to the company. Their prompt, friendly and professional service made the process very easy and we will not hesitate to recommend southern Stairs to others."
Geoff & Jo C